This is the new olive oil cake in (my) town. I always wondered why grapes are never in baked goods as much as berries. They hold a similar shape, are juicy, and provide great texture and flavor. That needed to change and the ones in my house needed some lovin' in the oven.
This cake was so refreshing! A delicate cake batter of fruity extra virgin olive oil and fragrant Riesling with cornmeal providing some structure helped play up the juicy bursts of suspended grapes. I am tempted to make this again with some Welch's grape juice for a purple batter.
Green Grape & Olive Oil Cake
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup almond milk
1/4 cup Riesling
1 3/4 cup seedless green grapes, washed and dried
1/4 pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat all wet ingredients and sugar together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt together well.
- Add the dry to the wet. Stir 1 cup of the grapes.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan. Top with grapes and pistachios. Bake for about 40 minutes.