More about this vegan cake: I couldn't find a recipe that had a fudgey end result - most were fluffy and cake-like. I wanted under cooked brownie texture. I used coconut oil and avocados and held it all together with super chia. These most definitely hit the spot!
Vegan Chocolate Loaf
(veganized off of 101 cookbooks)
1 cup cocoa powder
11/4 cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 teaspoons chia seeds
6 teaspoons warm water
1 cup boiling water
additional sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and wine with parchment paper (must line if want cake to get cake out of pan).
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl or cup mix together the chia seeds and water.
- In a separate bowl, cream the coconut butter, avocado and cocoa powder until smooth, add sugars and blend until smooth.
- Beat in chia seed combination and vanilla.
- Now stir in 1/3 the flour mixture, then 1/3 of the water, alternating until all the flour and water has been incorporated into what seems like an impossibly thin batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan (sprinkle with dusting sugar if you want), pace on a baking sheet (just in case there's overflow) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 325 degree F and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. This cake isn't going to test done like other cakes, but as long as the oven temp is accurate, it should come out just fine.