1) These cookies wouldn't stand a chance next to the Mennonite/Lancaster accesible baked goods it would be up against.
2) I work in the meat industry and veganism is only rarely mentioned in private circles and in off the record conversations.
So, naturally, I left the word "vegan" out of the description. I thought there'd be tons left considering I work in Pennsylavnia Dutch territory which means spice is verboten.
Surprisingly, these cookies were absolutely destroyed by the end of the day. I felt a sigh of relief sweep through my body. The people liked the heat! If you do, too, these are a delightful way to do it up!
Vegan Coconut Butter Sugar Cookies With Ghost Pepper Sea Salt
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon egg replacer (or use 1 egg if you don't care about making it vegan)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup coconut butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ghost pepper sea salt (you can make your own or buy some at a spice joint)
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
extra salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray or line with wax paper.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Whisk egg replacer with 2 tablespoons water in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg replacer or egg and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat until dough forms.
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll 1 ball to 1/4 inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes, and transfer to baking sheets. Continue with the rest. Sprinkle with ghost pepper sea balt before baking.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light brown around the edges. Cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheets and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Make icing: beat sugar, coconut milk and vanilla until smooth. Add more milk to smooth out if necessary.
- Spread icing on cooled cookies and sprinkling sugar or more salt or sparkling sugar.