'Twas the last week before Great Lent, when all through the house
Too many milky containers were stirring, some spilled on my blouse.
The measuring cups were waiting in the cupboards with care,
In hopes that a bath in the dishwasher would soon be there.
My roommates were at work; dealing with the feds and delivering meds,
While visions of wine and cheese danced in their heads.
And Saffy the Cat in her 'kerchief and I in my leggings
Had just opened up the fridge to see what was begging:
Buttermilk, feta, manchego, and fresh basil.
I spoke not a word, but went to straight to work,
Filled a bowl with buttermilk, eggs and cheese, then turned with a jerk
Adding flour and other white stuff - not oreos, although I don't oppose
And giving a nod, in the oven she rose!
She sprang in her flowery bundt pan, getting more than a whistle
And all my dairy products flew like the down of a thistle.
I said my last goodbye to cheese as I ate the final bundt bite,
Happy Great Lent to all, and I can almost see the light!
Savory Buttermilk Bundt Cake
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup olive oil
2 large eggs
1/3 cup loosely chopped fresh herbs (I used basil)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
1/2 cup manchego cheese, shredded (or whatever cheese you want!)
1/2 cup assorted chopped vegetables (couple of sliced mushrooms maybe? yes!)
- Grease a bundt pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk, oil, garlic and cheeses together.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and combine, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour in bundt pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until golden brown and bouncy.
- Cut a slice and consume with a nice glass of wine!