This one is dedicated to all my fellow horseradish obsessed peeps!
I am not a big time mac and cheese cooker/eater, but I was looking for another way to eat horseradish. Infusing it in pasta and cheese seemed like the right thing to do. The roasted baby tomatoes are optional, but I found these created a lovely contrast of brightness and sweetness with the rich, hot (as in horseradish burn) cheesy pasta. This is by far my favorite mac and cheese ever! I thought I could have put even more horseradish in, but my roommate, who is not a horseradish aficionado said it was the right amount. So if you really like the stuff and are consuming with other lifers, give the bottle another press.
Horseradish-Jack Macaroni and Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked pasta (I used penne)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded jack cheese
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 3 roasted red peppers, minced (I used the jar version)
- 1/3 cup horseradish sauce (I used my beloved NW brand, Beaverton Foods)
- 1 pint baby tomatoes
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- butter/olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil or butter (I use olive oil, of course) on the bottom of a 10x10 casserole pan and sprinkle with half of breadcrumbs.
- Mix eggs, cheese, milk, peppers and horseradish together, toss with pasta and pour into pan.
- Top with tomatoes and sprinkle on rest of breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.