I absolutely hate mayonnaise. I hate it ions more than I despise bananas. I've hated it since I was zero year old. It made me dislike sandwiches and ordering in groups whereby my order would always end up with mayo warranting thorough rankings to scrape any last suspicious white glob off while I cursed the person who got theirs without, undoubtedly mine.
But lately, I've had a change of heart.
Maybe it was when I confidently and somewhat accidentally shoved a spoonful of mass-produced potato salad in my mouth this summer.
And liked it.
Or maybe it's been the several times I've been guilted in to trying my friends' banana breads (read: they use the same recipe and I DO NOT LIKE BANANA BREAD) which somehow had enchanting elements of tang and a whole new level of luscious moistness I've never tasted in a quick bread before.
and then I heard the whis-whisperings of ..."it's the mayonnaise recipe" ...muahahahahaa
So consider this one of those off-one situations like Chevy trucks saving human kind from world destruction.
I used mayonnaise and I liked it.
Cran-Cherry Orange Mayo Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter melted
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and butter together.
- In a small bowl whisk together the zest, juice, egg and mayonnaise (don't be scared!) and add the mixture to the flour-butter mixture.
- Stir the batter until just combined.
- In a food processor or mixing bowl (if you are down with the chunks) combine cherry jam and cranberries.
- Grease a loaf pan and spread half of the batter in the pan.
- Pour cran-cherry mixture then spread remaining batter on top.
- Bake for 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on rack for 15 minutes.