My older brother, John, and I are hummus junkies. That's how you know we are related. Our DNA is a double hummus helix. I made this carrot infused hummus last weekend for his grand PDX arrival because I've never seen anyone else eat more carrots than John. I played up the carrots' sweetness with some heat through dried chilies, cayenne chili pepper and cumin. The results were great. If you have baby carrots lying around and sick of boring hummus, make this!
1 cup baby carrots
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 tablespoon tahini
Lemon juice from 1 lemon (approx 2 tablespoons)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1-2 dried chili peppers
Cayenne chili pepper to taste
1/4 olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Steam carrots in a small pot until tender (approx 5 minutes).
- Drain carrots and let cool in fridge while you prepare the rest.
- In a food processor, put chilies, tahini, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and cumin and blend until smooth.
- Add cooled carrots and blend until fairly smooth.
- Add garbanzo beans and blend until smooth.
- Add more salt at the end if needed - depending on how sweet your carrots are.